Sarah Palin is like every unrequited crush I've every had, like everyone that ever bullied me in middle school and high school. I know the best thing to do is to ignore her and to take things objectively, at face value, and move on. She's not worth my time, right? She's not worth moping around over or obsessing over; the time spent trying to find ways to retaliate against her evil actions. She's not worth the energy it takes to long to go back in time to when things were different; before I was ever introduced to her. She's not worth feeling disappointed about.
Sigh. But, I am obsessed with her – just like everyone else.
I've taken a fair amount of math and statistics classes and read the news regularly and recently learned a bit about prediction markets, but I still don't really actually understand how pre-election polling works. My obsession with Palin's positive addition to McCain's campaign is in part due to the fact that the media is doing its best to expose how absurd she is (ok, well, the liberal media I tend to pay attention to), at the same time they're writing headlines about how white women who were devastated about Hillary are brightening at the thought of Palin in the White House. I'm sorry – WHAT? Can anyone explain this fucking logic to me? How is this the cornerstone of every political news piece lately and, more importantly, how is it true? It's got me so angry and I can't stop thinking about it.
Mud-slinging. It sucks. Amanda sent this along today and it gave me some inspiration and hope about real things that are going on that have nothing to do with Tina Fey (omg! love her), or with pigs. It's the American Association of University Women's congressional voting record for 2007-8. She nicely summarized it in an email:
In case any of y'all are interested, AAUW recently released our congressional voting record showing how our reps and senators voted on AAUW issues (such as pay equity, higher education, min. wage increase, etc.) It's here if you want to check it out: http://www.aauw.org/advocacy/issue_advocacy/voter_ed/upload/votingRecord110.pdfLet's stick to the facts – Palin's not qualified to be involved in the level of politics she's trying to get involved in. That's it. She doesn't deserve me. I don't care that she wears skirts or won a beauty pageant or thinks she can see Russia. I care that she's inexperienced and hates women, the environment, people, and probably kittens and puppies too.
Obama was only present for 70% but voted 100% support while there. McCain was only present for ONE vote, for Pay Equity, and he voted against it. Yeah! Umm, women should still only make 70 cents to the dollar that men make. Put em' in their place! What a fucking douche!
I'm very tempted to do some ill-advised internet searching to find some articles that respectfully support my argument that giving Palin too much air time gives her more political respect that she has earned for herself at this point in her career – Slate's podcast this week discussed just that, and I've come across it in a few other places as well. However, those of you that know me know that life is super hectic right now; I've put a moratorium on “doing extra things” and, really, I shouldn't be blogging at all. But. Can't. Stop. Thinking. About. Palin. Grrrrr.... so, I thought I'd share.
So, do your research, talk about the facts, sling a little mud if you have to, but remember... wallowing isn't healthy. Go outdoors, talk to your friends, exercise, eat healthy, don't drink too much, avoid sad music, and try to stay positive. Remember that she's only doing this because she's jealous of you, because she likes you but can't communicate it properly. She didn't mean to hurt you, maybe, she just needs to focus on herself right now. You'll feel better soon. Someone else will come along, someone that's better for you. There are other fish in the sea:

No comments:
Post a Comment