Thursday, July 03, 2008

Why Coseismic?

I can't remember where or when I came across the phrase "coseismic dislocation"; it was a while ago, when I lived somewhere else. It's not in my Dictionary of Geologic Terms and if you search for it on the web, with quotation marks, not much comes up. It relates to earthquakes as you can probably tell from the presence of "seismic". It basically refers to one earthquake, or activity from one epicenter, impacting two points, simultaneously, that are not adjacent to one another. That's the best I can figure it, anyway.

When I first heard (read?) this phrase I thought it rather profound, deep, and well, kinda funny. Funny in the sense of, "hmmm... if I mess up now, what will I coseismically affect?", and so on. But, I didn't think to do anything with this phrase until my friend, who was then living abroad, and I discussed making a zine. The plan was to fill the zine with all of our emails, which were plentiful, from the approximately 1 year period that she was living in Japan and I was just moving back to the East Coast. We emailed multiple times per day, in face of such epic challenges as time zones and jobs. We felt as though we had really worked out a lot of deep, philosophical issues. We both saved all our emails. The zine never got created though. Mostly because it would have been really difficult to hide the personal aspects of ourselves and the people we were spending time with (read: dating). Anyway... when we first talked about it I thought, "Oh! We should call it 'coseismic dislocation' because we're living far away from each other but still dealing with a bunch of shit". It seemed so brilliant.

A few other projects, paper and digital, were tossed around in my brain and in bi-coastal phone conversations but nothing ever came of any of them.

So, I started a blog. And I named it this. I don't expect that each post will be about how I'm emotionally falling apart due to activities happening in remote locations, but maybe some of them will.

1 comment:

sarah said...

darling, even though our zine fell through, i'm so happy about your blog! love love love sarah